Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Buying groceries like an adult

Until today, my grocery purchases have basically been a means of exploring stores and providing snacks for my hotel room, so I don't have to pay Dh16 for a tiny can of Pringle's. I've been there. It's not pretty.

But today--propelled by the expensiveness of the hotel--I bought some food I actually need. Breakfast at the hotel costs Dh65, or about $17. Not terrible for a hotel restaurant. But ridiculous in light of the fact that you can walk outside, even go to the mall, and pay Dh25 (at the most!) at an everyday restaurant.

So I went to the co-op and scored a small jug of low-fat milk, 500 grams of Arabic granola and a six-pack of diet Sprite, because why not. Now my breakfasts for the next couple of weeks are squared away for about Dh15 total. For those of you keeping score at home, that's less than $5.


You can tell it's milk...


... because it says so.

I also developed the roll of film I took this week. Photos to be posted later, but not all of them... as per usual, about 25 percent of all the frames I take turn out roughly how I want them to. Need to work on that. Christine--send help.

No comments: