Thursday, May 21, 2009

Certain universal truths

It's a cool thing to look up at the night sky and know that anyone on the planet has the same view of the moon you do (or will, once the Earth rotates a few more degrees). For me, anyway, it's comforting to know that the Fiance of the Blog and I share the same place in the universe on a grand scale.

And the stars in general have always fascinated me. I remember the first time I really saw the Milky Way: I was taking a night-time shower in Paraguay, trying not to think too hard about the fact that anyone with a flashlight could get as good a view as they wanted, and I looked up. Bam. The entire galaxy was spread out above me. It helped that there were maybe a dozen electric lights in the surrounding 100 square miles.

Kind of like this:

Galactic Center of Milky Way Rises over Texas Star Party from William Castleman on Vimeo.



So Texans are good for something. If nothing else, it's a reminder that no matter what stars you see, your relationship to them is tiny and unchanging.

No comments: