Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Jet lag: It's not just for breakfast anymore

In fact, at the moment, it's rearing its bleary head around dinner time.

The most obvious manifestation of jet lag is, quite simply, that your body thinks it is one time while the world--we'll call it reality--reflects something different. It's 9 a.m. in Abu Dhabi: Time to wake up! It's midnight in Chicago: Time to (probably) go to bed!

When I first arrived here, I was up early every morning because, well, that's what my body wanted to do. And I spent enough time walking around during the day that by the time I got home from work (or the Cellar), I was ready to crash. So over a couple of weeks, a routine took shape, and I was good to go.

A week into this most recent arrival, Mrs Blog and I have encountered some annoying stuff like sleeping until 2 p.m. or not being able to sleep at 4 a.m. And in circumstances like that, not even the adrenalin blast of wrangling with Etisalat's customer service can keep a guy conscious.

No comments: