Thursday, September 10, 2009

On football

The start of both the football and "American" football seasons is upon us. While I assembled Ikea furniture last night, England pasted Croatia 5-1 and qualified for the World Cup. Meanwhile, tonight (tomorrow morning if you are in country code +971, holla), the NFL season begins.

I'm not sure I'll be able to watch any of the games--only partly because I do not yet own a television--but I've already had an interesting conversation about fantasy football with the guy sitting behind me. We'll call him Cherry Bear, because that's what he named his fantasy team. Anyway, it was interesting because he's British, and I'm American, and we're supposed to hate soccer and football, respectively, but there we were, talking about World Cup qualification and whether Kerry Collins or Brady Quinn would be a better backup quarterback.

It's enough to make a guy want to go drink some beer, eat a chili dog (but not during daylight hours) and watch grown men tackle each other.

No comments: